Sunday, December 21, 2008

The New Me

What I think about various things has changed over the years. Funny how we think we had IT all figured out, whatever IT is. It's not a waffling as much as it is being willing to learn and let new information impact our view of the way things are. What we had believed before was based on less information than we have now, so whatever picture we have today is by definition more informed than before. Sometimes we are stunned, sometimes saddened, sometimes euphoric, sometimes just plain contemplative, about that new piece in the puzzle. Whatever the reaction, it must be dealt with and goes into making the new me.

That "new me" can be a product of an absolute accumulation of information, esp if you have a photographic memory like I don't, or more of a "moving average" where old information drops off over time, or is just discarded. We can have different ways of accumulation, depending on how interested we are in a certain area. For me, I seldom forget information about geography (I read maps for fun), but choose not to remember the ins and outs of medicine. I barely know the difference between viral and bacterial. That's a case where something usually drops off the end if a new disease pops up on my screen. Isn't that principle true of us all, if we want to admit it.

In the area of religion, I have come to know that all of history revolves around the person of Jesus Christ and His work of creation and redemption. Yes, new insights come almost every day, but the reality of Him is central and unchanging and in fact becomes more of the core of my life with every new revelation of Him. That can come through the Words of life, the ability to love the unlovable, a new sunrise, a renewed hope of the future, something no earthly "messiah" is able to fulfill, as some believe these days.

What do you think?

1 comment:

Robert said...

I loved the idea of the 'moving average' of knowledge. Very true. Lets hope the knowledge that is dropping off is unnecessary knowledge and that the new stuff is mostly wisdom.
Great insights. I'm excited about this beginning!
Sarah